Commentaries by Kerry Brown
- At a time of such global confusion, it is not Brexit, Syria’s civil war, Russian assertiveness or China’s games in the South China Sea that consistently make the newspaper headlines, but the antics and brinkmanship of a state led by a man in his early thirties who is the third generation of a Communist family cult.
- The consensus amongst the political elite in China since the 11th Five Year Programme issued in 2006 has been that climate change is a reality, and that its fiercest impact will fall on their country unless something is done.
- Mar 13 , 2014The meeting of the Third Plenum late in 2013 made clear that the reform agenda that Li Keqiang and his colleagues are facing is a formidable one – formidable enough to have set up a leading group entirely focused on reform alone, writes Kerry Brown.
- Oct 21 , 2013The Third Plenum will be the first major opportunity under China’s new leadership to see how they plan to approach the two major goals of economic and social reform, writes Kerry Brown.
- Aug 26 , 2013Chinese people have a profound emotional bond to their land, culture, and sense of identity. The Chinese dream of its regenerated status is a powerful one, and Chinese politicians would be fools not to appeal to it, writes Kerry Brown
- Oct 10 , 2012After months of uncertainty, we now know the date of the 18th Chinese Communist Party Congress. The Congress will be convened on 8th November. On that date, g