Commentaries by He Yafei
- Nov 11 , 2015Fluctuations in China’s currency and economy don’t have the wild effect on the global markets that many critics allege, and such accusations distract from a needed collective focus on maintaining stability.
- Oct 23 , 2015Because existing trade terms mean 80% of TPP members’ exports to the U.S. are already duty-free while even a bigger percentage of China’s manufactured goods enjoy that status, the agreement’s bottom-line impact on trade is negligible for now. The deal is more about who gets to write the long-term rules of global governance, which for China is both a challenge and an opportunity to reshape its economy in the direction it was going anyway.
- Oct 13 , 2015China’s “One Belt, One Road” initiative would create multiple economic corridors encompassing more than 60 countries Asia, North Africa and East Africa, linking the most dynamic East Asia Economic Zone with the advanced European Economic Zone. Intraregional free trade and infrastructure funding will enable more efficient circulation of currency and culture.
- The Xi-Obama meetings have demonstrated that China and the US can be frank and open with each other when addressing difficult issues. The result could be a new order in a multipolar world that better accommodates the needs and desires of the entire globe.
- Sep 01 , 2015Chinese and Americans should not be surprised by our divergent approaches to both bilateral and global issues. The key to success is to seek common ground while tolerating differences in a partnership committed to peace and a new world order. Sometimes we ought to stand in the other’s shoes and take a more balanced view of the issues we both face.
- This is a crucial moment for Sino-U.S. relations, as heated debates about the future of this relationship rage in both countries -- debates characterized by downright pessimism, with only a sliver of optimism.