Commentaries by Fan Gaoyue
- Apr 05 , 2017At a press conference on March 30, Chinese spokesperson Lu Kang announced that Chinese President Xi Jinping would visit U.S. President Donald Trump at his Mar-a-Lago property in Florida from April 6-7.
- Mar 15 , 2017Physically, THAAD serves as an Iron Curtain to intercept incoming missiles from North Korea. Separate national security interests have supplanted Cold War ideology, but THAAD could influence competing alliances and block cooperation among the countries involved in the “Six Party Talks.”
- Feb 27 , 2017Participants in the Six Party Talks can take four paths to progress: Make denuclearization of the Peninsula their collective top priority; make a military strike an option as talks resume; initiate peace treaty talks concurrently; and take confidence-building steps to make negotiations more inviting.
- Jan 19 , 2017If the new president’s military and budget priorities don’t change, the U.S. is likely to lose the leverage it has with allies by underwriting their defense and to start a new arms race when a stronger U.S. military upends the current balance of power.
- Aug 09 , 2016Seoul should fully understand the consequences of THAAD in the ROK, reverse the deployment decision and cooperate with countries concerned in an effort to force the DPRK to abandon its nuclear project and mitigate the tense situation in the Korean Peninsula. THAAD will only produce two winners: the U.S. and the DPRK.
- Jun 29 , 2016As a self-labeled world leader, the US should abandon its provocative and destabilizing air and sea exercises in the South China Sea – and sign and abide by UNCLOS wholly and thoroughly instead of citing a few isolated words and phrases to serve its purpose.
- Apr 13 , 2016The high-altitude system would achieve none of its stated goals if deployed, but would shake the fragile trust of Beijing and Moscow toward Washington. The US should learn some lessons from the Cuban missile crisis and NATO’s eastward expansion, understand and respect other countries’ security concerns, and take some concrete measures to ease instead of aggravate the tension in the Korean Peninsula.