- Franz-Stefan Gady , Associate Editor, Diplomat
Mar 03 , 2017The People’s Liberation Army could become more powerful than the U.S. military. But not for the reasons you might think.
- Ma Shikun , Senior Journalis, the People’s Daily
Mar 17 , 2017The nation’s military spending is lower than the world’s average, and far below the US defense budget. China has no appetite for external expansion for an arms race, but for the sake of its own safety, it should properly increase the spending on defense as the national economy grows.
- Richard Weitz , Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute
Mar 15 , 2017Despite China’s economic slowdown, the Chinese government has plans under its "Made in China 2025" program to spend $300 billion by 2025 to become self-sufficient in critical technologies and strategic emerging industries. U.S. unease at the size and opaqueness of China’s large military buildup are well-known. The latest developments will likely lead the Trump administration to continue efforts to reduce Russian defense technology transfers to China, sustain the EU arms embargo on China, and make U.S. weapons and other U.S. exports more competitive in global markets.
- Reuters ,
Jul 28 , 2016China's Defense Ministry confirmed on Thursday that it was pressing ahead with anti-missile system tests after pictures appeared on state television, amid anger at South Korea's decision to deploy an advanced U.S. anti-missile system.
- China’s navy will send five ships to join a major US-hosted naval drill this summer, even as tension mounts between the world’s two largest economies over the South China Sea.
- Zhao Weibin , Researcher, PLA Academy of Military Science
Jun 01 , 2016To predict, prevent and manage crises, especially those triggered by third-party factors, should become the top priority in China-U.S. strategic consultations, in order to establish higher levels and broader scopes of risk-prevention and control mechanisms.
- AP , The Associated Press
May 31 , 2016China on Monday lashed out at criticism from U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, accusing him of harboring a Cold War mentality and saying Beijing has no interest in "playing a role in a Hollywood movie" of Washington's design.
- South China Morning Post ,
May 06 , 2016The Chinese navy has begun a comprehensive combat drill in the South China Sea involving its most advanced warships amid rising tensions with the United States over the disputed waters.
- Reuters ,
Mar 04 , 2016China's defence budget this year is likely to rise at its slowest pace since 2010, in line with the decelerating economy, by a much lower figure than had been expected, although it probably does not represent the true spending number.
- China on Thursday confirmed it would send warships to join a major U.S.-hosted naval drill this summer, even as tension between the world's two largest economies mounts over the South China Sea.