Commentaries by Wang Zhen
- Feb 22 , 2017Only when safety is guaranteed and every traveler can enjoy the pleasure of experiencing different societies and cultures can the tourism industry develop healthily, and social and economic prosperity be maintained. This will require effort by both China and the countries courting Chinese visitors for both business and leisure travel.
- Jan 05 , 2017Western overconfidence cost President Obama and US allies the chance to shape the resolution of the Syrian crisis. Turkey’s realignment with Russia and Iran on the issue is a game-changer, for no neighboring countries of Syria can replace the role of Turkey for the Western alliance.
- The anticipated defeat of the Islamic State is not likely to mean calm in the region, since thousands of disaffected jihadist fighters will be scattered and looking for new opportunities to spread their ideology. Meanwhile, the newly energized Kurds – key players in the war against IS – will have political demands that will be difficult to satisfy, and may lead to new conflicts.
- Apr 07 , 2016Overthrowing the autocratic regime of Saddam Hussein inflamed the Sunni-Shiite rivalry in the Middle East, and provided a breeding ground for the Islamic State. The new wave of terror attacks in Europe is also the bitter result of its irresponsible policies during the Arab Spring, and the consequences are fueling ongoing resentment toward Western governments.
- China has neither the military infrastructure nor the political will to strike IS forces on the ground in the Middle East. But China continues to build its military capacity and is by no means looking for a “free ride” in the Middle East.
- Jan 12 , 2016Having incubated the Daesh in its global war on terror, the US must take the responsibility to destroy it. Washington cannot sit back and expect the international community to defeat the Daesh forces without US leadership.
- In the face of the international terrorist organizations’ threats to the international community, China and the US need to assume responsibilities, and join hands in a new round of cooperation, writes Wang Zhen.
- More than 30 people have so far expressed their wish, through micro blogs and other channels, to run for National People's Congress (NPC) deputies. Signalli