- Colin Moreshead , Graduate Fellow of East Asian Studies, Yale University
Dec 07 , 2016Donald Trump's presidency could reset American presence in Asia and present China with unexpected military and economic opportunities in the region. China's leaders must prioritize their objectives to avoid alienating neighbors, but until Trump chooses his cabinet and interacts with its members, they have little idea of what to expect from the United States in the coming years.
- Zhang Monan , Researcher, China Int'l Economic Exchanges Center
Dec 20 , 2016Shelving the TPP could create opportunity to accelerate the FTAAP, working in line with high-standard trade rules, committing to new international trade rules and basing the FTAAP on the next trade mode.
- Doug Bandow , Senior Fellow, Cato Institute
Dec 14 , 2016President-elect Donald Trump’s attack on international trade, and especially his intention to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), will allow the People’s Republic of China to seize the economic lead in Asia and prevent any goal of making America great again.
- Wu Zhenglong , Research Fellow, China Foundation for Int'l Studies
Dec 14 , 2016The loss of momentum for the Trans-Pacific Partners agreement has diminished the US’ standing as a global power, and taken the wind out of the sails of President Obama’s Pivot to Asia strategy. The result is a brighter prospect for a more regional partnership and China’s push to establish a Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP).
- P. Elisabeth Smits , PhD candidate, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University
Dec 13 , 2016As the president-elect makes bold statements and takes symbolic actions relevant to US-Sino relations, perhaps a bit of folklore suggests how to think about wise policy actions.
- The U.S.-China relationship is complex and often fraught, but getting it right is possibly the most important economic and foreign policy task of any President. The pathway to a more advantageous U.S. economic relationship with China will not be easily forged, but it is vital to the American economy. As China’s President Xi Jinping told Trump recently, a cooperative U.S.-China relationship is the only pathway forward.
- He Yafei , former Vice Minister, State Council Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs
Nov 24 , 2016Globalization is always an evolving process, with inevitable ups and downs and not moving in a linear fashion. Despite populist reservations in the US and UK, the international community has become intertwined and interdependent, thanks to global free trade and investment. Cooperation to tackle global challenges will continue while more efforts will address the “global governance deficiency” in promoting social justice and fairness such the widening gap between rich and poor both domestically and among nations.
- Hugh Stephens , Senior Fellow, Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
Nov 18 , 2016With the election of Donald Trump to the White House, the Obama Administration has finally accepted the inevitable and has announced that it will cease efforts to push the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) forward in the waning days of the Lame Duck session. Over the long term, Washington will need to re-assert its trade presence in the Asia-Pacific region. The supply chains are too interwoven and interdependent for the U.S. to go at it alone, despite the isolationist rhetoric emanating from the U.S. election.
- Wu Sike , Member on Foreign Affairs Committee, CPPCC
Nov 15 , 2016The fine momentum of deepening China-US cooperation in various areas will inevitably extend into the upcoming new US presidency. Donald Trump and his team, who have won the election under the banner of “Make America Great Again”, should see that joining hands with China in the Asia-Pacific will result in a win-win scenario for both counties.
- Reuters ,
Sep 20 , 2016Peru's new president said Monday it was "worrisome" that China is not part of the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership but his government would seek ratification for U.S. President Barack Obama's signature trade deal.